Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Mr. Wilson - "No Problem"

April 19, 2016

My wife often refers to my "Mr. Wilson" attitude when I ponder the small things. You may recall the Mr. Wilson character in "Dennis the Menace" cartoon strip or sitcom of the same name. Cranky Mr. Wilson often seemed irked by the shenanigans of his neighbor's son, but in the end, they had a sustaining relationship. A relationship I hope to build with the millennial's of today.

How many time each day have you gotten the response, "No Problem" during your casual interactions?  I know I'm guilty of this. Have we lost the "Please" and "Thank you" and "You're Welcome"  of our childhood manners training?

Words have meaning and I'd like to unpack this a bit further. So please excuse my "Mr. Wilson".

A friend just posted an article on gratitude which made me wonder. Are we less gracious on the small things and does this affect our gratitude with life in general? When I say "no problem, am I saying, serving you or helping you is no problem to me?  Is the focus turned inward or outward to the other?  Sir here's your coffee, and it's no problem, you are not my problem.

Juxtapose the "thank you" and "you're welcome".  I am thankful for you, "I welcome you" redirects our perspective from an inward direction out to the other.

I believe by working on these small gestures we can provide a better, yet small example on how to serve our brothers and sisters and take the focus off ourselves and look to the gratefulness of service from and for our brothers and sisters.

So till next time....Stay off my lawn!  Thank you

1 comment:

  1. In general it's my practice to say "please" and "thank you." However, if in their request someone indicates their reluctance or reticence in asking me, along the lines of "I hate to bother you," I underscore my openness to their need and willingness to give of myself through the phrase "it's my pleasure" or "not at all, I'm at your service."

    When delivered sincerely I believe those phrases put anxious folks more at ease, and could serve as an entree into exploring the notion of each of using our talents to serve another; either through discourse then or perhaps planting a grain of thought in their head for further contemplation later.

    God bless and all the best

    ReplyDelete